Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thursday 13-Crafting Supplies

I haven't done a Thursday 13 in awhile. So today I'm going to do my top 13 crafting supplies I can't live without. Are you ready? OK, here goes:

1. Scissors: A good pair only for cutting fabric and another pair for paper. DO NOT cut paper with fabric scissors!

2. Acrylic Paints: A whole collection is nice but start with the basics-red, yellow, brown, green, blue, black, white, etc. I paint everything from wood to fabric to actual paintings with these!

3. Paint Brushes: You've got to have at least one 1" foam brush and then some good bristle brushes in various widths. Don't forget the tiny one! It's my favorite for all those details! Make sure they are not the floppy watercolor brushes. There's nothing worse...

4. Blank Newsprint Paper: You can buy an entire bundle for soooo cheap at a paper store. We have had our same bundle for years and used it for packing through two moves, repacking several holidays, AND crafts galore! Good for kids to draw on, wrapping paper in a pinch, table covers for really messy projects (like dying Easter eggs, carving pumpkins, painting...). The list could go on and on!

5. Glitter and Sequins: Whether it's the dry kind or in the form of glue...you've gotta have these! (Both kinds is even better!) Get some good basic colors like silver, gold, and clear and go from there.

6. Buttons: The more variety the better! I always clip mine off any clothes I'm throwing out. And save all those "extras" that come with new clothes.

7. A rotary cutter and self-healing mat: I actually use my rotary cutter ruler the most! But the hand held rotary cutter is a must as well. And of course the mat...it's magic! Very easy to use. Mine is VERY well-loved.

8. Hot glue gun: HOT is the key word. I get burned every single time. But the sacrifice is worth it. Someone just suggested having ice water close by. Now why didn't I think of that? Geesh!

9. Fabric glue: So useful.

10. Needle and thread: White and black are a good start. And lots of embroidery floss in an array of colors!

11. An old iron: Don't use your nice iron that you use on clothes! Trust me on this...

12. Felt and/or fabric scraps: It's nice to have a few colors of felt squares on hand. I also like to keep some white or cream muslin around for projects.

13. JoAnn Fabric Store’s 40% off coupon: Sign up for a mailer on their website or at the store. Fabric is pretty expensive these days. That's what I usually use mine on.

So there you have it. A few of my "must-haves" for crafting. Of course there are more (there always are on these lists) but these are the ones that came to mind first. And then there's my list of crafting supplies I WISH I had...paper cutter, laminator, serger, embroidery machine, craft room........

1 comment:

Becca said...

Great list! I wish we had a Jo-Ann's here. They have closed down our other fabric stores and are taking the fabric out of Walmart. Have you ever ordered fabric on-line?

I completely endorse the paper cutter and laminator! Definitely ones to put on your wish-list. I have the xyron laminator and I use it for EVERYTHING - school, church, crafts, etc.